Self directed team staff work collectively to provide high quality direct care services to adults with developmental disabilities, absent the presence of a manager/lead person. Each team member is responsible for ensuring the human rights of all Individuals served are met. Team members are responsible for treating all Individuals with dignity and respect.Self directed team staff assigned to an individual are responsible for supporting them in the completion of their daily routines and for ensuring clients live a safe, healthful, enjoyable life in the community. Self directed team staff are responsible for ensuring Individuals are provided with opportunities to learn and exercise increasing independence as much as practicable.
In addition each member of a self directed team is responsible for additional administrative duties. The additional duties include:
● The role of an advocate, financial manager, medication administration manager, personal care assistant.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for the health, safety and well being of Individuals served, seeking assistance and medical interventions as appropriate.*
- Serves as a Mandated Reporter and is required to advise direct supervisor, DDS immediately if abuse and/or neglect of an Individual is suspected.*
- Handle crisis situations according to agency policies and procedures, seeking resources when necessary.*
- Monitor home site and vehicle for safety, cleanliness and upkeep and take necessary action to ensure same.
- Report safety concerns per established protocols.*
- Establish rapport with Individuals participating in the home program.*
- Support the learning of Individuals by use of motivational techniques, effective interventions and various communication approaches including verbal, gesture, and written communication.*
- Assist Individuals with any activities of daily living (ADLs) as applicable to each Individuals abilities.* Responsible for scheduling and accompanying individuals to medical appointments/treatments, ensuring accurate reporting to physician and follow through with respect to doctors orders and recommendations.*
- Responsible for producing accurate, legible and complete medical documentation for Individuals served, including but not limited to treatment charts and data sheets.*
- Properly administer medication (or support individuals who can self medicate) in accordance with Agency, DDS and DPH guidelines – Medication Administration Procedures (MAP).*
- Ensure Individuals are provided nutritionally sound food options along with the education to help them understand the impact of their food consumption.*
- Support each Individuals existing relationships and assist in increasing their network of friends and acquaintances.*
- Provide transportation for individuals to/from activities, medical appointments, and/or day programs through use of your personal, family or agency vehicle.*
- Provide sex education, relationship building, life and money management counsel when appropriate.*
- Assist individuals in becoming part of their community by supporting them in learning how to find resources, activities and transportation in the community.*
- Carry out all interventions in an Individual’s Behavioral Protocol Plan as written and trained. Redirect and/or physically support Individuals who may be aggressive using proactive techniques while maintaining self-control.*
- Responsible for understanding and implementing any support strategies pertaining to ISA goals.*
- Communicate effectively, professionally and respectfully with Individuals, co-workers, management, guardians, and others while on company time.*
- Responsible for being familiar with and abiding by Agency, Department, and Program policies and procedures and for acting in a manner consistent with organizational values, mission, and goals.*
- Serve as an active, contributing and problem-solving member of the team. Provide support to co-workers including relief staff by sharing knowledge about Individuals as appropriate for the role of support staff.*
- Attend and actively participate in mandatory staff meetings and trainings as well as supervision meetings.
To perform this job successfully, individuals must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
● High School Diploma or GED required.
● Experience in the developmental disabilities system preferred, but not required. Candidates who are passionate about working with individuals with developmental disabilities and have equivalent education or desire to gain experience in the field will also be considered.
● At least moderate computer skills and experience with electronics.
A successful candidate will have a personal vehicle, proof of 100,000/300,000 liability auto insurance, and a safe driving record. Candidates must have a clean criminal, and driving record in order to attain employment with KNC. A background check, and drug screening will be required for successful candidates seeking employment.
It is the intent of the Kimi Nichols Center to continue its commitment of serving individuals with multiple handicaps through innovative and “state of the art” services. All current activities pertaining to consumers, employers, parents, guardians, and other interested persons will be harmoniously conducted within a future directed plan.